The Selecter have announced the release of an iconic new music video to coincide with the announcement of a major “Subculture” 16-date UK tour throughout November and December.
Walk The Walk is a highly stylised, fashion-led music video, styled by renowned celebrity stylists Sam Lambert & Shaka Maidoh from ArtComesFirst, and featuring a cast of famous names from the world of music and fashion. Taken from The Selecter’s recently released album, Subculture, Walk The Walk is a homage to the individuals, the rudeboys & girls and all those who stand proud for what they believe.
As well as featuring The Selecter's iconic frontwoman Pauline Black and 'Gaps' Hendrickson, the cast includes:
• Baloji (Internationally recognised Belgian-Congolese rapper; performed on Damon Albarn's Africa Express tour)
• Mike B (Owner of celebrity stylists BOGARD. As in-house designer for Bad Boys Entertainment for 10 years, Mike helped shape the image for icons such as Notorious BIG and Sean 'Puffy' Coombes and continues to work with many contemporary music and style icons)
• Harris Elliott (Designer and stylist, Creator of luxury luggage brand H By Harris, and who's 'Return Of The Rudeboy' collaboration with photographer Dean Chalkley was a major exhibition at Somerset House throughout Summer 2014).
• Matteo Gioli (Milliner to the stars and MD of SuperDuperHats in Milan)
• Sam Lambert & Shaka Maidoh (high end fashion stylists & tailors known as ArtComesFirst)
• Sinbad Phgura (feted fashion & travel photographer, and as a member of The Twilight Players has performed at worldwide from 10 Downing Street to Glastonbury to Mumbai, and also appeared in videos by Madonna, U2, David Guetta and Kylie)
The video was filmed in two evocative locations in South London.
Rectory Grove in Clapham has been a housing co-operative for over 40 years but the residents have now been evicted by Lambeth council who are selling the formerly derelict houses for huge sums of money. Walk the Walk was shot on the very last day prior to their eviction and stands as a homage to that community that has been dismantled for profit.
Brixton Railway Arches provide the interior location shots. The owners of the artistic communities who thrive there are desperately fighting eviction by Network Rail, who wish to install expensive retail chains in their place.
Support on all Tour Dates comes from the fantastic all-girl Punk Band, The Tuts, who wowed Selecter fans up and down the country supporting them earlier this year.
Pauline Black and Gaps Hendrickson will both also be joining Jools Holland on an extensive tour of the UK this autumn, including 2 nights at the Royal Albert Hall.
THE SELECTER - 2015 LIVE DATES SUBCULTURE UK TOUR
19 Nov NORWICH Open
20 Nov LONDON Clapham Grand
21 Nov NOTTINGHAM Rock City
22 Nov CAMBRIDGE Junction
03 Dec YORK The Duchess
04 Dec MANCHESTER Academy 2
05 Dec SHEFFIELD The Plug
06 Dec NORTHAMPTON Roadmender
09 Dec BATH Komedia
10 Dec WREXHAM Central Station
11 Dec DUBLIN The Academy
12 Dec BELFAST The Limelight
13 Dec BIRMINGHAM o2 Academy 2
17 Dec READING Bowery District
18 Dec EXETER Phoenix
19 Dec PORTSMOUTH Wedgewood Rooms